Monday, October 15, 2012

Skate America: Mens Preview

Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) is the lovechild of Daisuke Takahashi & Johnny Weir and this is going to be his breakout season. He is really the only person on the scene who has the big technical elements and actual unique artistry. I hope he sweeps every event this year.

Jeremy Abbott (USA) is one of my great loves of figure skating but he makes me too nervous when he competes. I want so badly for him not to be scared anymore and to light it up on the ice. He should do us all a favor and let his inner diva shine because that Patrick Chan-esque attempt at keeping all the emotion inside ain't working for me.

I had such high hopes for Takahiko Kozuka (JPN) after his World medal in 2011. His confidence took a nosedive last season, but maybe now that Hanyu is coming into his own as on one of the favorites, maybe Taka won't feel so much pressure. I love his clean style and I hope he makes a comeback.

Michal Brezina (CZE) is an oddball whom I've never particularly enjoyed. I'm sure he is a lovely young man, but I don't particularly enjoy his skating. He always looks rushed and never finishes his movements. I'd like to see some attempt at style before I give him my "Barbie Seal of Approval."

Douglas Razzano (USA) could be the surprise medalist of the bunch. He is a beautiful lyrical skater who also has a good quad. If he does his best, I sincerely believe he will be on the podium. I believe that he has a beautiful spirit and I am pulling for him to have a breakout season.

Podium Predictions:
Gold: Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
Silver: Jeremy Abbott (USA)
Bronze: Douglas Razzano (USA)

The Rest of the Field:
Tomas Verner (CZE)
Tatsuki Machida (JPN)
Konstantin Menshov (RUS)
Alexander Majorov (SWE)
Armin Mahbanoozadeh (USA)


No comments:

Post a Comment