Sunday, October 28, 2012

Cup of China: Mens Preview

This is a tough event to call. Other than Takahashi, nobody stands out as a true podium favorite so it will certainly be an exciting one to watch! I will be in school during the short program, but I'll be up in the middle of the night to call the free skate!

Former World Champion Daisuke Takahashi (JPN) is the clear favorite to take Gold here. I live for his originality and performance quality. He is getting up there in years and before long he won't be able to jump the way he used to. Let's enjoy him in competition while it lasts and then he can ride off into the sunset, hopefully after winning Gold in 2014. They may be a romantic idea, but this is my blog so what I say goes! I cannot wait to see his new programs, especially the rock and roll short.

I'm going to choose with my heart here and say Adam Rippon (USA) can win the silver. He's changed coaches yet again, so let's pray that he's finally found what he's looking for with Rafael Arutunian. The short to Nessun Dorma is a very typical program choice for Adam, but The Incredibles as a free skate should be an interesting break. I want him to find the mental toughness to match the beauty that he has on the ice in time for Sochi in 2014. This is a critical year for him.

Nan Song (CHN) was the breakout star of the 2011-2012 season and Cup of China is where he reached his first podium of the season. I foresee that happening again here. He is such an athlete but his free is to Romeo and Juliet, so perhaps he's working on bringing out a softer side.

Brian Joubert (FRA) is another interesting case. He withdrew from the GP last season due to injury, but he did place 4th at Worlds and 1st at a small International this season. He has been around for so long and I know that deep down he's holding out for his Olympic medal in 2014, but I just don't know if it will happen. This is a crucial year for him. What I'm most excited for....did he hang onto The Matrix?

My Podium Prediction:
Gold: Daisuke Takahashi (JPN)
Silver: Adam Rippon (USA)
Bronze: Nan Song (CHN)

The Rest of the Field:
Kevin Reynolds (CAN)
Jinlin Guan (CHN)
Yi Wang (CHN)

Tatsuki Machida (JPN)
Sergei Voronov (RUS)

1 comment:

  1. You do know that Sochi is in 2014, not 2016, right?

    ReplyDelete