Thursday, October 28, 2010

Barbie's Showtune of the Day #14: For Good

Ask me today what my favorite Broadway show is and I'll tell you one thing, and if you ask me tomorrow I'll probably give you a different answer. My taste in musical theatre is constantly changing and evolving, but the show that will probably always remain closest to my heart is Wicked. I have seen Wicked more times than any other show and each time I see the show or hear the music, I respond to a different aspect of the friendship between Elphaba and Glinda. The song For Good is near and dear to my heart and each time I hear it, it brings back some very specific memories. First of all, the first time I saw Wicked I had no idea what to expect, but what I took away from the show was this song and what it said about the people who come into our lives for a reason. Another memory is from my senior year of high school, in my last dance recital, where I danced a duet to For Good with my dance teacher who has always been, and still is, one of the closest people to me in my life. Finally, two years ago, I got the chance to play Glinda, my number one Broadway dream role, in a cabaret production where I sang For Good with one of my close friends.

What I love about this video is that it shows the progression of a song and the performance of that song from the rehearsal process to the show. I love the quote from Winnie Holzman, the book writer of Wicked about how the musical's script must rise to service the music. And what I love the most is watching Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth interact with one another in rehearsal as they discover their characters and their relationship with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment