Friday, June 4, 2010

My 2010 TONY Predictions: Performances

Best Leading Actor in a Play: Jude Law, Hamlet, Denzel Washington, Fences, Liev Schreiber, A View From The Bridge, Alfred Molina, Red, Christopher Walken, A Behanding in Spokane

My Pick: Liev Schreiber-- I believe I am going out on a limb here as Washington and Molina seem to be the front-runners, but my gut is telling me that Schreiber is gaining on them and will pull ahead in the race by TONY time.

Best Leading Actress in a Play: Viola Davis, Fences, Jan Maxwell, The Royal Family, Valerie Harper, Looped, Laura Linney, Time Stands Still, Linda Lavin, Collected Stories

My Pick: Viola Davis-- since I am snubbing Denzel, it is only fair to reward the other have of Fences' dynamic leading couple. Davis' performance is utterly heart-wrenching and because hers is one of the few plays still running, her interpretation lives in recent memory.

Best Leading Actor in a Musical: Sean Hayes, Promises, Promises, Chad Kimball, Memphis, Kelsey Grammer, La Cage aux Folles, Douglas Hodge, La Cage aux Folles, Sahr Ngaujah, Fela

My Pick: Douglas Hodge-- this is another one of those categories that seems almost set in stone. Hodge is simply a revelation on stage, but to the credit of the other nominees, no other actor this season has been given the material to thrive on that Hodge has received in the character of Albin.

Best Leading Actress in a Musical: Kate Baldwin, Finian's Rainbow, Montego Glover, Memphis, Christiane Noll, Ragtime, Sherie Renee Scott, Everyday Rapture, Catherine Zeta-Jones, A Little Night Music

My Pick: Kristin Chenoweth--oh wait--she was the best singer of the season, not the best actress, so my close second will be Catherine Zeta-Jones-- though not a singer by trade, this impeccably trained actress is the star of the season and rightfully deserves recognition for her interpretation of Desiree.

Best Featured Actor in a Play: David Alan Grier, Race, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Fences, Jon Michael Hill, Superior Donuts, Stephen Kunken, Enron, Eddie Redmayne, Red

My Pick: Eddie Redmayne-- I'm really feeling the love for this play! Redmayne is particularly notable in this production because he had the task of playing a character that was the amalgamation of many different men. While Alfred Molina could develop his performance in the play based on Rothko, a person who actually exists, Redmayne created a truly original character based on a compilations of Rothko's various assistants.

Best Featured Actress in a Play: Maria Dizzia, In The Next Room/The Vibrator Play, Rosemary Harris, The Royal Family, Jessica Hecht, A View From The Bridge, Scarlett Johansson, A View From The Bridge, Jan Maxwell, Lend Me A Tenor

My Pick: Jan Maxwell-- the woman was nominated twice this season, she has to win one of them, and this is arguably her stronger performance which should be good enough to topple the other talented women in the category.

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Kevin Chamberlin, The Adams Family, Robin De Jesus, La Cage aux Folles, Christopher Fitzgerald, Finian's Rainbow, Levi Kreis, Million Dollar Quartet, Bobby Steggert, Ragtime

My Pick: Bobby Steggert-- I'm going to take a huge leap of faith and hope that the impeccable, tour de force performance by Steggert in the long-gone revival of Ragtime will be remembered by the voters. It seems that Levi Kreis is the name on everybody's lips these days but if the award is truly for 'best performance,' Steggert is my choice.

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Barbara Cook, Sondheim on Sondheim, Katie Finneran, Promises, Promises, Angela Lansbury, A Little Night Music, Karine Plantadit, Come Fly Away, Lillias White, Fela

My Pick: Katie Finneran, Katie Finneran, Katie Finneran-- there are many words to describe Katie Finneran's performance in Promises, Promises. Among them, firecracker, dynamite, and dare I say it, the highlight of the entire Broadway season. Her ten minutes on stage give the audience the experience of being shot out of a cannon in a whirl of hilarity. I knew her performance was something special when it caught the attention of my dad-- because lets just say my love of the theatre does not come from that side of the family. If I were a betting woman, I would say that Finneran's win in this category is the surest of sure things in this entire awards presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment