Tuesday, December 4, 2012

2012 Grand Prix Final: Mens Preview

Patrick Chan (CAN) has not had the banner season he had last year, but he tends to peak later in the season so it's not outlandish to bet on him here. I actually really like his programs this season  because he's making a genuine attempt to be artistic. Robo-Chan is gone...now if we could only get rid of those Dance Team Hands.

Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) is such a little nugget. I just love him but he genuinely upsets me too. He could beat the pants off of Chan if he ever held it together for a whole event. He could take this whole thing and the World title if he can do his programs up to par. He has all the goods if he could just put together all the parts.

My love Daisuke Takahashi (JPN) can never disappoint me, regardless of what he does. He can go out and fall seven times and still give the performance of a lifetime. His programs are so-so this year, but I keep telling myself that he is saving the best ones for 2014. He has held his own this season, but what I'm really afraid of is the chance that the younger Japanese guys could pass him by next season. That is a legitimate possibility but let's pray it doesn't come to fruition.

Takahiko Kozuka (JPN) is making a comeback and we are thrilled for him. He had a messy 2011-2012 and he's coming back with a vengeance. I won't say he's reinventing himself-he still has that grace and elegance he's known for-but now that he's experienced defeat, I think he's stronger because of it.

Javier Fernandez (ESP) is an anomaly. He can be amazing or disastrous. His Charlie Chaplin program is a gem when all of the pieces are working together. When the jumps go, the character goes, and the rest is downhill from there.

Tatsuki Machida (JPN) is this year's Christina Gao on the men's side. Who on earth expected him to make the GPF? I certainly didn't! He is interesting-he doesn't thrill me, but he is pretty consistant and these days, that's huge.

Podium Predictions:
1) Patrick Chan (CAN)
2) Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN)
3) Daisuke Takahashi (JPN)

No comments:

Post a Comment